Tuesday, September 22, 2015

JIGSAW Method

In the last two classes we have been learning about the JIGSAW method.  The JIGSAW method is when the class is divided into groups and given a topic to research and become familiar with.  Within these groups, each member is given a subtopic of the main topic.  When each member is assigned their topic they are going to become expert in that distinct field so that they can explain it to their other group members and vice versa.  Our professor had us use this method.  At first I was confused by how it works.  However, once I understood why there were so many groups and subgroups it made sense.  When I joined my original group and we all shared our power points I enjoyed this method.  I feel that it is a resourceful method when working on broad topics or big projects.  I would like to use this again and certainly use it in my classroom.  It is also a wonderful way to cover more material in a shorter amount of time.  The JIGSAW method ensures that each person will contribute to the group as well, because they have a specific job and cannot lean on others to do it for them.
                            

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the JIGSAW method can be confusing, but can be very beneficial to use if the teacher is short on time to do the lesson. I like that the method is allows for social interaction but also involves every member of the group to contribute to the activity by performing their specific job.
    If you'd like to learn more about JIGSAW, you can look at the JIGSAW website: jigsaw.org

    ReplyDelete