Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Economics in Elementary Classes

Happy December my fellow bloggers!  I am writing to share with you the experience I had in my social studies methods class learning to teach economics.  My classmates and I were divided up into groups and assigned a specific aspect of teaching and learning about economics in elementary classrooms.  The topic i was assigned was "Identify and illustrate ways in which economic education is integrated into the social studies curriculum through such topics as career education, geography, history, community studies, and consumer education." My partner and I researched and added two slides to the class power point on our topic. Here is the link to this power point.  Our slides are number 33 and 34, although the whole slideshow is helpful when learning to teach economics!  After doing this assignment I realized that I was not as familiar with economics as I thought I was.  There are different types of economics and several ways to integrate it into your social studies lessons.  I am glad I now have this power point as a reference for when I have a classroom of my own.  I was surprised to see how well the class worked together to organize and fill out this power point.  It was confusing for me at first when I saw that we all would be editing the same document, but in the end the slideshow came out great.  I thought it was nice how each group was an expert on their topic, because they were able to effectively teach what they learned to us instead of everyone trying to learn everything about economics.

No comments:

Post a Comment